Participants completing this course should be able to:
- Understand how neurodevelopmental functions interact either to facilitate or to impair learning and interpersonal behaviors
- Learn methods with which to identify neurodevelopmental systems that require therapeutic intervention
- Begin to view neurodevelopment from a model of interactive and interdependent functioning, which model enables a nonjudgmental approach to individual differences
- Be able to recognize subtle signs of stress, in order to individualize task challenges appropriately
- Gain hands-on experience by learning, practicing and modifying several HANDLE® activities learned in Level 1 as well as novel Level 2 activities that may be used with groups or one-on-one to enhance neurodevelopment and function
OT, OTA, PT, PTA, and Special Education Teachers of all levels.
8:00 am – 3:00 pm
8:00 – 9:45 – The HANDLE Paradigm
- Neuroscientific underpinnings
- Gentle Enhancement™
- Shifts in practice
- Variations on Level 1 activities
9:45 -10:00 – Morning Break
10:00 – 12:00 – Sensory Motor Systems that Support Function and related HANDLE activities
- Sensory Motor Interdependency and Interaction Chart (SMII) as a tool to analyze behavior and create an individualized neuro-developmental profile
- Neuro-developmental Processes and Systems including: Olfaction, Gustation, Tactility, Vestibular
- Learn and practice HANDLE activities
12:00 – 12: 45 – Lunch Break
12: 45 – 3:00 – Sensory Motor Systems that Support Function with related HANDLE activities
- Sensory Motor Interdependency and Interaction Chart (SMII) as a tool to analyze behavior and create an individualized neuro-developmental profile (continued)
- Neuro-Developmental Processes and Systems including: Muscle Tone, Kinesthesia, Proprioception, Audition, Visual function, and Interhemispheric Integration
- Learn and practice HANDLE Activities
Shifra K. Leiser, OTD, OTR/L
Shifra K. Leiser is a Professor in the Touro Manhattan OT Program, is a SIPT-Certified OT with 20 years of clinical experience. Shifra is a certified HANDLE® Practitioner and Instructor, studying directly under Judith Bluestone, founder of HANDLE®. Shifra artfully fuses Sensory Integration and HANDLE® for optimal results. For more information about HANDLE®, please visit www.HANDLE.org. HANDLE®, which stands for Holistic Approach to Neurodevelopmental and Learning Efficiency, is a specialized non-drug approach to strengthening underlying sensory motor systems that are contributing to learning and life difficulties. In this one-day course, participants will gain an understanding of the basic tenets of the HANDLE® paradigm in order to analyze behavioral difficulties in the classroom from a unique perspective. From this perspective, participants will have the opportunity to learn and practice a variety of easy-to-implement, fun and versatile therapeutic HANDLE® activities in order to address and ameliorate these difficulties for use with individuals or groups. The main therapeutic modality of HANDLE®, Gentle Enhancement™, will be explored as supported by current research literature and applied to our most precious charges, the pediatric client of any functioning level within the school setting
6 contact hours
Approved for 6 contact hours by NYSED’s State Board for PT.
Application has been made to NJBPTE for CE credit approval.
Approved NYSED CTLE provider. Sponsor ID #23746.
TSI is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures. Approved by AOTA for .6 CEUs. 6 contact hours, Mixed Level, Domain of OT: Performance Skills.
Early $295.00* | Regular $320.00
Cost includes a take home equipment kit!
*Early registration must be received 21 days prior to seminar
VALID UNTIL APRIL 8, 2020 for SI
VALID UNTIL MAY 20, 2020 for NYC
3 to 4 registrants – Early – $279.19 | Regular – $302.85 (use code group3)
In order to qualify for the group discounted rates, registrations MUST all be received within 24 hours (of the first registration) if registering on-line, and in the same envelope if registering by mail. PLEASE NOTE: Registrations received after a group has been processed will not be eligible for the discount.
To ensure that all group members receive the appropriate discount, choose a group name and be sure that each person registering adds the name in the “other notes” section at checkout.