Participants completing this course should be able to:
- Understand how neurodevelopmental functions interact either to facilitate or to impair learning and interpersonal behaviors
- Learn methods with which to identify neurodevelopmental systems that require therapeutic intervention
- Explain how social and academic behaviors and developmental histories provide information about developmental dysfunction
- Begin to view neurodevelopment from a model of interactive and interdependent functioning, which model enables a nonjudgmental approach to individual differences
- Be able to recognize subtle signs of stress, in order to individualize task challenges appropriately
- Gain hands-on experience by learning, practicing and modifying several HANDLE© activities that may be used with groups or one-on-one to enhance neurodevelopment and function
OT, OTA, PT, PTA, and Special Education Teachers
8:00 am – 3:00 pm
8:00-8:15 am – Introductions and Course Objectives
- What behaviors or functional difficulties are you encountering in the classroom and with your pediatric clients?
8:15-9:30 – Foundations of HANDLE®: Behavior as Communication
- Learn and Practice HANDLE® Activities
9:30-9:45 – Morning Break
9:45-11:45 – Foundations of HANDLE® continued: Gentle Enhancement™ as Key
- Learn and Practice HANDLE® Activities
11:45 – 12:00 PM – “Everything you need to know about the brain in 15 minutes!”
- The critical role of the Cranial Nerves and Autonomic Nervous System
12:00- 12: 45 – Lunch Break (on your own)
12: 45- 3:00 – Overview of Sensory Motor Systems that Support Function with related HANDLE® activities
- Introduction to Sensory Motor Interdependency and Interaction Chart (SMII) as a tool to create an individualized neuro-developmental profile
- Learn and practice HANDLE® Activities
- Materials and instruction sheets for each activity will be provided for you.
Shifra K. Leiser, OTD, OTR/L
Shifra K. Leiser is a Professor in the Touro Manhattan OT Program, is a SIPT-Certified OT with 20 years of clinical experience. Shifra is a certified HANDLE® Practitioner and Instructor, studying directly under Judith Bluestone, founder of HANDLE®. Shifra artfully fuses Sensory Integration and HANDLE® for optimal results. For more information about HANDLE®, please visit www.HANDLE.org. HANDLE®, which stands for Holistic Approach to Neurodevelopmental and Learning Efficiency, is a specialized non-drug approach to strengthening underlying sensory motor systems that are contributing to learning and life difficulties. In this one-day course, participants will gain an understanding of the basic tenets of the HANDLE® paradigm in order to analyze behavioral difficulties in the classroom from a unique perspective. From this perspective, participants will have the opportunity to learn and practice a variety of easy-to-implement, fun and versatile therapeutic HANDLE® activities in order to address and ameliorate these difficulties for use with individuals or groups. The main therapeutic modality of HANDLE®, Gentle Enhancement™, will be explored as supported by current research literature and applied to our most precious charges, the pediatric client of any functioning level within the school setting
6 contact hours
Approved for 6 contact hours by NYSED’s State Board for PT.
Application has been made to NJBPTE for CE credit approval.
TSI is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures. Approved by AOTA for .6 CEUs. 6 contact hours, Mixed Level, Domain of OT: Performance Skills.
Early $295.00* | Regular $320.00
*Early registration must be received 21 days prior to seminar
VALID UNTIL APRIL 6, 2020 for SI
VALID UNTIL MAY 18, 2020 for NYC
Cost includes a take home equipment kit!
3 to 4 registrants – Early – $279.19 | Regular – $302.85 (use code group3)
In order to qualify for the group discounted rates, registrations MUST all be received within 24 hours (of the first registration) if registering on-line, and in the same envelope if registering by mail. PLEASE NOTE: Registrations received after a group has been processed will not be eligible for the discount.
To ensure that all group members receive the appropriate discount, choose a group name and be sure that each person registering adds the name in the “other notes” section at checkout.