Participants completing this course should be able to:
- Discuss how strength deficits have a negative effect on functional ability.
- Review how underlying core weakness further complicates development delay, impaired balance and poor coordination.
- Apply techniques to strengthen the abdominal and gluteal muscle groups.
- Review the strength function relationship, describe the role of core weakness in development delay, and develop a greater awareness of the negative effect of central instability on balance.
- Increase knowledge of the contribution of dysfunctional abdominals and gluteals on coordination and understand the significance of muscular co-contraction and timing of activation.
- Apply concentric and eccentric principles and develop strategies for general strengthening.
- Utilize activities in a non-standing position and learn techniques to improve balance.
- Recognize useful strengthening movements during the first year and explain strengthening methods for preschoolers.
- Identify strength games for elementary school ages and gain insight into strength moves for the older child.
Target Audience & Course Level
Intermediate level Physical, Occupational and Educators.
Liesa M. Persaud, PT, DPT, PCS, CKTP
LIESA M. PERSAUD is a licensed physical therapist with 27 years experience in the field of adult and pediatric therapy. Liesa is a physical therapist at Tulsa Sunshine Center in Oklahoma.
Liesa is also owner of Know to Change, PLLC, an organization dedicated to advancing the knowledge & skills of clinicians in pediatric practice. Both nationally and internationally, she has educated health care professionals in advanced treatment techniques, performed specialized practical training and provided consultative services. She has worked in a variety of settings, including private pediatric and adult clinics, schools, private homes, hospitals and long-term care facilities, as well as facilities abroad.
Believing it is important to share knowledge, Liesa is also a Credentialed Clinical Instructor, teaches human anatomy, physiology and nutrition, and is adjunct faculty at Southern Nazarene University. She received her Associate’s Degree from Tulsa Junior College and worked as a physical therapist assistant while completing her Bachelor of Science Degree in Organizational Leadership. After earning her Master’s Degree in Physical Therapy from the University of Findlay, Liesa continued to expand her expertise in the field. She received her post-graduate Doctorate from Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions, is a Certified Kinesio Taping Practitioner and achieved recognition as a Board Certified Specialist in Pediatric Physical Therapy. Her research interests are toe walking and the development of gait.
Liesa’s wide range of clinical experience, proficient teaching skills, motivation to improve the standard of care, & enthusiasm & passion for her field, make her an exciting and compelling instructor.
6 contact hours
Approved for 6 contact hours by NYSED’s State Board for PT.
Application has been made to the NJBPTE for CE credits.
Approved NYSED CTLE provider. Sponsor ID #23746
TSI is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures. Approved by AOTA for .6 CEUs. 6 contact hours, Intermediate Level, Domain of OT: Performance Skills.
Early $315.00* | Regular $340.00
*Early registration must be received 21 days prior to seminar
VALID UNTIL FEB 10, 2020 for LI
VALID UNTIL FEB 11, 2020 for NYC
VALID UNTIL FEB 12, 2020 for SI
3 or more registrants – Early – $298.12 | Regular – $321.78 (use code group3)
In order to qualify for the group discounted rate, registrations MUST all be received within 24 hours (from the first registration) if registering on-line, and in the same envelope if registering by mail. PLEASE NOTE: Registrations received after a group has been processed will not be eligible for the discount.
To ensure that all group members receive the appropriate discount, choose a group name and be sure that each person registering adds the name in the “other notes” section at checkout.