Advanced Topics in Rehabilitation and Management of the Back and Spine
Brian Hainline, MD and Carolyn Anne Richardson, BPhty (Hons), Ph.D.
DVD Course Description:
On March 30, 2008, 150 physical therapists, occupational therapists and athletic trainers gathered in New York City for this exciting conference, featuring an international panel of experts who are leaders in the field of treating back disorders. The DVD is available for you to view and earn CEUs. 3.75 contact hours.
This comprehensive DVD course features Carolyn Anne Richardson, BPhty (Hons), Ph.D., who joins us from Australia to present exciting insight from Microgravity (Space) research, Gravity Fitness Training (GFT), and Whole Body Vibration that help professionals better treat common back pathologies. She also discusses the role of core stabilization in rehabilitation. Brian Hainline, MD, author of Back Pain Understood: A Cutting-Edge Approach to Healing Your Back, presents the latest information on medication management, therapeutic injections, acupuncture and surgical vs. non-surgical intervention. All approaches are supported by published evidence demonstrating their safety and efficacy.
Brian Hainline, MD
• Clinical Associate Professor of Neurology, NYU School of Medicine
• Chief, Neurology and Integrative Pain Medicine, ProHEALTH Care Associates
• Chief Medical Officer, US Open Tennis Championships
Carolyn Anne Richardson, BPhty (Hons), Ph.D.
• Retired Associate Professor and Consultant to the Joint Stability Research Unit, University of Queensland
• Consultant to the current Bedrest Research being conducted by the European Space Agency
• Australian Physiotherapy Association
Carolyn Anne Richardson, BPhty (Hons), Ph.D. has been researching and teaching for 20 years in the area of therapeutic exercise, including research into its effectiveness as well as a focus on clinical muscle testing and methods of evaluating muscle function in the laboratory.
Career highlights include:
• Leading the original University of Queensland research team who developed the Core Stability concepts and wrote the “Lumbar Stabilization” textbooks
• Leading a successful grant application to the European Space Agency (ESA)
• Being part of ESA’s topical team on Low Back Pain in Astronauts
• Being a consultant to ESA for their exercise countermeasures for the International Space Station
Following completion of this DVD course, participants will be able to:
- Understand various back pain presentations, including acute biomechanical derangements, degenerative conditions and neuropathic pain conditions.
- Understand the rationale for utilizing medication, therapeutic injections, and acupuncture in the management of various low back pain syndromes.
- Understand how joint support is developed by increasing Gravity Load Cues to the body.
- Use postural cues and low tech equipment to increase postural awareness, control of spinal curves, and core stability.
- Increase strength and endurance of spinal muscles using low tech equipment to detect when muscle fatigue has occurred and the neutral spine position is lost.
- Use Whole Body Vibration equipment safely and efficiently in your practice.
This intensive DVD course is directed to the experienced clinician involved in the care and rehabilitation of the injured athlete. The primary target audience includes physical and occupational therapists, athletic trainers, and other professionals.
The level of this DVD course is Intermediate to Advanced. It is assumed that participants are familiar with basic knowledge of the areas covered.
DVD Course Format:
||Differential Diagnosis of Back Pain – Brian Hainline, MD
||The Use of Medications in the Treatment of Low Back Pain – Brian Hainline, MD
||The Use of Injections and Acupuncture in the Treatment of Back Pain – Brian Hainline, MD
||Defining the Art of Therapeutic Exercise for Axial and Lumbar Spinal Stabilization: Optimizing Core Stability – Carolyn Anne Richardson, BPhty (Hons), Ph.D.
||Gravity Fitness: Preventative Exercise to Promote Joint Stabilization and Bone Health – Carolyn Anne Richardson, BPhty (Hons), Ph.D.
||Whole Body Vibration: Increasing Efficiency of Joint Stabilization Exercise and Enhancing Bone Health – Carolyn Anne Richardson, BPhty (Hons), Ph.D.
3.75 contact hours. Certificates will be awarded.
Recognized by the NY State Education Department’s State Board for Physical Therapy as an approved provider of physical therapy and physical therapy assistant continuing education. Approved for .375 CEUs.
||TSI is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures. Approved by AOTA for .375 CEUs.
- $70.00; includes DVD, post-test, and certificate of completion
- $25.00; course manual (includes copies of all power-point slides shown on DVD). Manuals may only be purchased in combination with DVD. Manuals are not being sold individually.
- Each additional viewer wanting CEUs: $25.00; includes post-test and certificate of completion.
Free Shipping within the U.S.A.!
PLEASE NOTE: Certificates of completion will only be issued upon completion and return of post-test to TSI.